Thursday, October 3, 2013

First day @ new school

This post was intended to be written on 2nd September, but the past 3 weeks have swallowed me whole...in between the first weeks of school and mommy duties, I was mentally and physically exhausted.

Not to mention the prior new parents-teacher interviews, child assessments, 1on1 meeting with the school principal, orientation, etc....all that have been going on for 2 long months, just to prepare the child for their first day. With all that sort of preparations, we felt as if we were preparing her for her university.  This is unexpected.   

So....that first day...

2nd September morning, we were off for Hayley's new school - (St. Christopher) it's not her first school but I know my girl, I knew there'd be tears. And I'd be lying if I said I didn't imagine that I will be given a special privilege to sit by her throughout the day--knowing how big she'd smile, how good she'd feel to have me there.

I arrived 1/2 hour earlier, planning to take her around the school, and let her 'warm up' at the play area but all she did was holding on to me. I sensed her anxiousness, I felt her tight grip, I listened to her soft sobs as she begged me not to leave.  I could still vividly remember what she said to me on that first day. 'Mommy, please don't go, I want you to stay with me, I don't know anyone here'.  I hugged and reassured her and whispered a short prayer and told her I had to leave.

Two wonderful teachers who knew just what to say and exactly how to comfort--they gently pulled her away from me while she cried, after my last quick hug, I left. I'd be lying if I said I did not cry.

It hurts terribly, but looking back, I am glad that she has actually grown out of screaming, rolling on the floor, remembering her first days at her previous school.  She is now more calm and steady, trying her level best to 'negotiate', just for me to stay.  

Nice little cubby-holes for the school bags

I watched the clock all day and I showed up 1/2 hour early so as to get a good parking spot.  Parking is a huge problem along Nunn Road, I'm glad I did.   Since it was the first week, parents are allowed to enter the school premises, and wait for the children along the walkway, so as to let the children know that their mommies and daddies are there waiting. With that final school bell, the children were out (collecting their school bags).

I'm glad I managed to capture these moments of her first day



My baby was happy to see me, yes I know

Heading out to the students pick-up area

Day 2, she was still a bit reluctant to go to school, went into her classroom with tears, gave her big cuddle and I left.  The good report was, 'she only cried for a few seconds after I left and she settled down pretty quickly.  Phew!


And now...it's been a month, thank God that she is adapting well with her new school, new teachers and new friends.

She is still confused whether a 'V' sign represents 'Victory' or 'Peace' 

but one thing I do know for sure is that.... she made it through and that makes me us proud parents.  

We are so very proud of you my brave little girl. We wish you all the best in your school years to come.  May the Lord bless you with peace, joy, love and wisdom in all that you do. We love you very much.

0 comments:

Post a Comment