Well, it wasn’t exactly the birth we had envisioned and planned for, but as the saying goes, life is what happens while we’re making other plans. Caesarean birth was not what we had planned for, but that was the best thing I could do. On 4th July at 40 weeks baby was 'sunny side up' and I was also frustrated that I had no labour signs, no contractions, no cervical dilation, so we decided to wait for another day. I went in again the next day and baby's position did not change..and I had still no progression, at 40 weeks plus under that condition, I was given 2 options, to continue on with the 'waiting game' or c-sect.
It was a spontaneous decision for c-sect on the 7th July, after weighing the risks and benefits of elective c-sect over an emergency c-sect if there is still no progression.
At about 12noon on the 7th, I was pushed to the O.T. Well, I was actually semi-conscious as I was given dormicum to help me relax just minutes before they pushed me in. But not long after, I was wide awake during which I was transferred to a platform bed in a super cold room (what happened then, it's best to be kept for one's own memory, :) and if I did share about it here, it might be a little too graphic). As I have requested for epidural anaesthesia, I was fully awake during the whole procedure, I could hear the conversation between my ob and the nurses and the GA, it freaked me out at first...oh, was it painful? a definite yes, the pain was so intense that even the lightest touch can be excruciating. I remember I joked with the GA , "you must have forgotten about my spinal block just now" The GA then told me he administered lower dosage so as not to harm mommy and baby.
At 1.40pm, baby Hayley was ushered into the world. I held her for the first time, took a picture with her and then she was taken out to meet her daddy, por por, gong gong, ma ma, ye ye and aunties and uncles while they stiched me up. I felt the tugging sensation during the stiching up procedure without any pain relief drugs whatsoever, but I must say, it was all worthwhile...my mind was all on our little bundle of joy the whole time and I just didn't want to wait anymore to see her again in the ward.
Overall I had a great birth experience. Not at all like what I had planned and imagined, but great nonetheless. In the perfect world I wished I would have gone into labor naturally, and not needing any drugs leading me to C-sect. However, in my circumstances, C-sect was the best thing I did. It made my experience so much better, for me, my family and our baby.
Our baby girl Hayley Anne Foo, born on 7th July 2010 at 1.40pm
3 comments:
Most importantly is a healthy mommy and baby. C Sect or normal labor. Congrats to the family
Jason
Congrats Michele & Jimmy, and welcome Baby Hayley! :) Regardless of the c sect or regular labor, the delivery process is indeed painful, scarring yet joyful and unforgettable... and every mommy is a brave mommy, agree? ;-)
Audrey
she is so adorable!!! Congrats Michele and Jimmy!!! I'm so happy for you guys!!! Long waiting blessing :) God is good!!
The most important is a healthy bb, the delivery process doesn't matter :)
Post a Comment